Search This Blog

Monday, April 29, 2013

A book that changed my life


Books have the power to impact our lives and leave lasting impression on our persona long after the books are read. While this is true about all kinds of books, there is one book in specific which have personally impacted my life to such a huge extent as to drastically change the way my life is shaped.

The book in question is 'Angela's Ashes' written by Frank McCourt and apart from it being my all time favorite book, I have it to thank for the change in my life's point of view.



For those who have not read the book, 'Angela's Ashes' is the memoir of Frank McCourt recounting his poverty stricken life in Ireland and how he survived the hellish childhood which by rights he should not have survived, but did and in such a spectacular way too.

If this was a book review, I would tell you more about the book, but the point I'm trying to make today is how the moving story Frank McCourt told changed my life and not to highlight the details of the book.

Before reading the book, I had somewhat of a defeatist attitude towards life.

My life which tends to ere towards the unfortunate way wont to make me indulge in the negative aspects of life.

When given lemons in life I used to just wallow in the bitterness of it all instead of trying to make the best of the situation.

My attitude was, if everything in life was going wrong, what can I do but deal with the cards that has been thrown my way as gracefully as I can.

It never occurred to me to try and overcome the issues in my life and try to make the best out of a bad situation.

My negative attitude in life changed subtly at first and then more vigorously the longer I let the thoughts behind the book sink into my psyche.

If someone could live through and not only survive a nightmarish upbringing, but actually thrive and be all the better for it, why can't I, whose condition in life is far better than that told by Frank McCourt, rise against my odds and find a way to blossom despite the obstacles that was in my way.

Looking back, life is so much better after I took a page out of Frank McCourt's book and allow myself to always rise above the negativity and shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment